Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Easy and Elegant Cheese Souffle

Taken from Frances Moore Lappe's' book Diet for a Small Planet
serves 5
3 cups grated cheese
4-6 slices bread
2 c. milk or 1 1/2 c. milk &1/2 c wine or beer)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire or soy sauce
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
pepper
  • Layer cheese and bread in an oiled baking dish, starting with bread.
  • Pour over it the milk or milk mixture.
  • Beat, with the eggs, the salt and remaining ingredients and pour over bread mixture.
  • Let stand for 30 minutes.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour in a pan of hot water.
This is a very homey sounding dish but quite elegant as well.

Made with 4 slices of bread, here is the nutrition breakdown.

Nutrition Facts
Servings: 5
Amount per serving 
Calories381
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27.4g35%
Saturated Fat 16.4g82%
Cholesterol 177mg59%
Sodium 791mg34%
Total Carbohydrate 9.8g4%
Dietary Fiber 0.3g1%
Total Sugars 5.4g 
Protein 24g 
Vitamin D 18mcg89%
Calcium 633mg49%
Iron 1mg8%
Potassium 168mg4%
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Recipe analyzed by 

4 comments:

Joan Peck said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. The new edition of Diet for a Small Planet omitted it! My book fell apart, and this is one of my favorite recipes from it. Not, however, written by Adele Davis, but rather by Frances Moore Lappe. jlsp.

HaynesBE said...

Thanks so much for putting this on the internet. i remembered the title of the recipe from my college days(1977) but could not remember where it came form . Now I can cook this easy tasty dish once again.

Susan Lee Barton said...

Thanks so much for posting this!! I lost the recipe, and it's my favorite recipe for leftover bread. The author of "Diet for a Small Planet" is Frances Moore Lappe (also wrote "Food First"). I highly recommend the book. My mother raised us all on Adelle Davis, but Frances Moore Lappe's recommendations are much more to my tastes these days.

Lizzie Bee said...

Thanks so much as can't locate my old book! I DECIDED TO MAKE THIS TONIGHT FOR GUESTS WITH BLUE CHEESE.
You have saved the day as I couldn't recall the proportions. My children loved this made with cheddar and I used to crumb the bread to make it really fluffy. I have passed this on to my grandchildren.

Lizzie Bee